B-Girl Reunion
C Stafford
Posted 2026-10-03 9:08 AM (#106282)
Senior Crew

Posts: 241

Location: San Diego, CA
Subject: B-Girl Reunion

For all those people not on Facebook, there is a 2027 B-Girl Reunion in San Diego April 21 - 25.
I am not on Facebook, so I got my info from a shipmate in San Diego Sub Vets
Gil
Posted 2026-10-03 10:16 AM (#106283 - in reply to #106282)
Master and Commander

Posts: 1740

Location: SoCal
Subject: RE: B-Girl Reunion

I'm hopelessly jaded.  I don't think of the B-boats when I saw that.  My mind immediately goes to reunions of bar girls. That would really be quite an interesting reunion. 



Edited by Gil 2026-10-03 12:23 PM
GaryKC
Posted 2026-10-03 2:08 PM (#106284 - in reply to #106282)


COMSUBBBS

Posts: 3920

Location: Kansas City Missouri
Subject: RE: B-Girl Reunion

Thought they'd all be as old as us. Nope.





(B - Girls .jpg)



Attachments
----------------
Attachments B - Girls .jpg (82KB - 9 downloads)
Gil
Posted 2026-10-05 4:48 AM (#106286 - in reply to #106282)
Master and Commander

Posts: 1740

Location: SoCal
Subject: RE: B-Girl Reunion

Back in '68 I was happy to get assigned to the Pickerel just because of the television series.  Other than the Pickerel I wouldn't have minded serving on the Barbel.  I just liked the way she looked.  Stupid me didn't see that nukes were the wave of the future.  Back then it seemed nukes were always breaking down for little things, and diesels took ther place on Pearl to Pearl runs at the last minute.  The Queenfish was an example as it spent more time tied up than it ever did at sea back then.  Anytime we couldn't get supplies we believed it was because Rickover priortized nukes over diesal boats.

geno
Posted 2026-10-05 7:26 AM (#106287 - in reply to #106282)
Old Salt

Posts: 318

Location: Vista, Ca.
Subject: RE: B-Girl Reunion

I'm probably out of my depth but I'll make an ass out of myseld, it's Monday. Never served on a B - Girl. But I have seen them transiting the harbor. I always had the imprerssion that they were rough riding SOBs. To me a nuke hull with engines and batteries meant surface the majority of the time and I recall Barb on the surface. We would really rather be below. Even swim call on Barb was really rough. Round hulls were meant for the deep or at least that's my belief.
Don Gentry
Posted 2026-10-06 8:35 AM (#106288 - in reply to #106287)


Admin

Posts: 2402

Location: Black Diamond WA
Subject: RE: B-Girl Reunion

Agreed... after bouncing off a seamount in the Med back in the late 70's, we were patched up and sent back to Charleston on the surface.  I think it took around 19 days plus or minus - it firmly established my view that nukes don't do well on the surface  
Gil
Posted 2026-10-08 9:20 AM (#106292 - in reply to #106282)
Master and Commander

Posts: 1740

Location: SoCal
Subject: RE: B-Girl Reunion

Back in '68 I never thought of smooth riding.  As Dex use to put it we were young and use to pounding the waves.

Sometimes coming back to Pearl after week long ops Friiday the Pickerel would be approaching the entrance slightly behind or near a nuke.  The Pickerel could do 21 knots max on all four engines, an if the hull had recently been scrapped.  The officer on our bridge would make it a point to beat the nuke in.  The comment I heard was they'll start purposing if they go too fast - if that's true I guess the B-Boats would have had the same problem.

First thing we thought of when the Guardfish ran aground the day before Christmas in '67 they were trying to beat another boat.  However what stuck out to me was the reports said the Guardfish was doing 24 knots.  I passed the QM test for 3rd class, but was not allowed in that gang because I was a short timer.  Just from my lookout position I realized maneuvering from the Pearl Harbor entrance through to the sub base wasn't that easy.  Also I don't know what the tide was, but our depth gauge showed it was only 34 feet deep in the center of the main lane.
GaryKC
Posted 2026-10-08 5:48 PM (#106293 - in reply to #106282)


COMSUBBBS

Posts: 3920

Location: Kansas City Missouri
Subject: RE: B-Girl Reunion

Out of nothing but utmost respect and admiration, please accept 





(a girl and her dog.jpg)



Attachments
----------------
Attachments a girl and her dog.jpg (177KB - 3 downloads)